FPF is seeking to hire a Policy Counsel or Senior Counsel (dependent upon experience) to lead its work on emerging questions of privacy and data protection related to health data. Key responsibilities for the position are expected to include: working with the CEO and VP for Policy to define a strategic vision for FPF’s health portfolio; undertaking independent research, analysis, and writing on emerging legal and policy issues related to privacy and technology; leading outreach and collaboration with interested FPF stakeholders, health interest groups, civil society, foundation partners, relevant government agencies, academics, and other key partners; and organizing events and meetings with stakeholders, both in person and virtual.
This is a full-time position located in Washington, D.C. FPF staff are working remotely until January 2022, with the option to work in-office as preferred, in accordance with building and organization COVID-19 safety regulations.
FPF is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace that supports employees professionally and personally through our employment practices and benefits offerings. We encourage applications from individuals who represent a variety of backgrounds based on sex, race, ethnicity, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, and other factors protected by law. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please reach out to [email protected]
- Strategic planning for FPF’s health data goals and strategies ranging from challenges for real world evidence, uses of genetic data, wearables, machine learning with health data and similar issues.
- Legal and policy analysis and development of recommendations related to emerging issues in health as well as regulatory consideration of questions of health data protection
- Analysis of how uses of data will impact vulnerable communities
- Outreach and collaboration with FPF stakeholders, as well as with health interest groups, relevant government agencies, academics, and other key partners
- Research and writing on emerging issues related to privacy and technology; drafting filings for regulatory proposals, drafting white papers or other academic papers as assigned
- Support uses of data for research and public health by providing guidance on legal and technical protections
- Provide commentary through blog posts, media interviews, and representation at public panel presentations and events
- J.D. or Masters degree in a related field
- 2-5 years experience (Policy Counsel) / 6-10 years experience (Senior Counsel) in relevant legal, policy, or technical positions with specific knowledge of health privacy strongly preferred
- Familiarity with related U.S. and European legislative and regulatory privacy laws
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in emerging trends in technology and implications for users and society
- Demonstrated project planning and organizational skills
Salary Range: Policy Counsel $70,000-$100,000 / Senior Counsel $90,000-$130,000
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to [email protected]