FPF is seeking to hire a Policy Counsel to lead its work on emerging questions of privacy and data protection related to mobility and location. Individuals’ geolocation data is increasingly collected, used, and shared as part of businesses ranging from connected cars and scooter rentals to mobile apps and online advertising. FPF recognizes that geolocation data is often used to develop safer vehicles and more personalized services and acknowledges the privacy risks associated with sensitive data use.
Key responsibilities for the position are expected to include: working with the CEO and VP for US Policy to define a strategic vision for FPF’s mobility-related technology and location portfolio; undertaking independent research, analysis, and writing on emerging legal and policy issues related to privacy and technology in these focus areas; leading outreach and collaboration with FPF stakeholders, interest groups (e.g. transportation companies), civil society, relevant government agencies, academics, and other key partners; and organizing events and meetings with stakeholders, both in-person and virtual.
This is a full-time position located in Washington, D.C.
- Strategic planning for FPF’s organizational objectives relating to mobility and location
- Legal and policy analysis and development of recommendations related to emerging issues and regulatory considerations within the mobility and location space
- Research and writing on emerging issues related to privacy and technology; drafting filings for regulatory proposals; drafting white papers or other analyses
- Outreach, engagement, and collaboration with FPF stakeholders, as well as with relevant companies, government agencies, academics, and other key partners
- Provide commentary through blog posts, media interviews, and representation at public panel presentations and events
- Provide leadership of Connected Cars working group including crafting a regular newsletter, planning content for monthly calls, and engaging with members 1:1
- Organize events and meetings with stakeholders, both in-person and virtual
- J.D. or Masters degree in a related field (or equivalent experience)
- 2-5 years’ experience in relevant legal, policy, or technical positions with specific knowledge of questions relating to mobility, transportation, and/or connected cars
- Familiarity with related U.S. and European privacy laws and regulations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in emerging trends in technology and implications for users and society
- Demonstrated project planning, research, and organizational skills
Salary Range: $70,000.00 To 100,000.00 Annually
How to Apply:
To apply, please click here.