Events and Communications Assistant, Youth & Education Privacy
The Future of Privacy Forum (FPF) is a non-profit organization that serves as a catalyst for privacy leadership and scholarship, advancing principled data practices in support of emerging technologies. The Youth & Education Privacy team advises policymakers, academics, companies, districts, and states on child and student privacy law and best practices; oversees the Student Privacy Compass website, and the review of applicants to the Student Privacy Pledge; and convenes stakeholders to ensure the responsible use of student data and education technology in schools.
This position will provide administrative and logistical support for FPF’s work on youth and student privacy issues. They will help organize and execute Youth and Education team events as well as assist with the team’s social media and website. The ideal candidate will be a superior writer; have a strong desire to effect change in the world with a focus on compromise, nuance, and bringing stakeholders together to find actionable solutions; be able to communicate with a variety of audiences both formally and informally; have the ability to remain professional and impartial while working in a political environment; and a willingness to support team members. The Events and Communications Assistant will interact regularly with leading senior figures in government, corporations, academia, advocacy groups, and law firms.
Importance of Fit
We are looking for someone who is organized, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic about assisting the team through a period of rapid growth. An ideal candidate will be able to maintain order and solve problems with creativity, determination, and collaboration.
- Assist in the planning and logistics of all Youth and Education team events
- Assist with managing all FPF event planning accounts, including Eventbrite, Salesforce, Canva, MailChimp, and WordPress
- Write letters and invitations for speakers and participants
- Manage tracking and database updates for event attendees
- Types of events include half-day and full-day educational seminars, small in-person meetings, academic panel sessions, workshops, and in-house and remote networking events.
- Update and maintain relevant websites, including the education section of the FPF, the Student Privacy Compass, and the Student Privacy Pledge
- Manage day-to-day execution of social media channels (to include live events) with a strong focus on Twitter and LinkedIn, while maintaining the FPF brand voice.
- Work closely with the Communications Director and membership team to send out monthly briefing and other email marketing via MailChimp and engage with members via the member portal.
- Collaborate with the Communications Director in managing the editorial calendar.
- Actively engage in measurement, evaluation, and reporting of the effectiveness of all digital communication programs and campaigns and make recommendations for improvement.
- Previous experience in administrative or communications support roles, as well managing social media and working with project management tools, such as Monday.com.
- Reputation for being entrepreneurial, energetic, positive, and focused
- Experience with Zoom, GSuite, WordPress, and Canva
- Ability to multi-task under pressure with competing priorities;
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively present varied information and respond to specific questions
- Ability to work across multiple teams within an organization
Salary and Benefits:
$50,000-$65,000 annually, commensurate with experience; excellent health, dental, and vision coverage; three weeks of vacation, plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s, Juneteenth, and all federal holidays.
This is a full-time position that will eventually be based out of the Washington DC office. FPF staff are working remotely until January 2022 (at the earliest) due to the coronavirus pandemic.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, a cover letter, and one writing sample to [email protected], with the subject line “EventsAssistantYE2021_[NAME].” Your writing sample should not be edited by another party. Writing samples that are similar to blog posts or articles are especially useful. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP (position will be filled as soon as the right candidate is found).