Project Assistant, Youth & Education Privacy
The Future of Privacy Forum (FPF) is a non-profit organization that serves as a catalyst for privacy leadership and scholarship, advancing principled data practices in support of emerging technologies. The Youth & Education Privacy team advises policymakers, academics, companies, districts, and states on child and student privacy law and best practices; oversees the Education Privacy Resource Center website, Student Privacy Compass, and the review of applicants to the Student Privacy Pledge; and convenes stakeholders to ensure the responsible use of student data and education technology in schools.
This position will provide administrative and logistical support for FPF’s work on youth and student privacy issues. The ideal candidate will be a superior writer; have a strong desire to effect change in the world with a focus on compromise, nuance, and bringing stakeholders together to find actionable solutions; be able to communicate with variety of audiences both formally and informally; have the ability to remain professional and impartial while working in a political environment; and a willingness to support team members. The Policy Fellow will interact regularly with leading senior figures in government, corporations, academia, advocacy groups, and law firms.
Importance of Fit
We are looking for someone who is organized, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic about assisting the team through a period of rapid growth. An ideal candidate will be able to maintain order and solve problems with creativity, determination, and collaboration.
- Administrative support for the Youth and Education team, including: scheduling, note-taking, record keeping, contract assistance, managing contacts, basic correspondence, and managing emails
- Logistical support for team events such as working group calls and virtual meetings
- Tracking the progression of projects in the project management software
- Assisting with the team’s Train the Trainer program
- Assisting with the Student Privacy Pledge project
- Updating relevant websites, including the education section of the FPF, the Student Privacy Compass, and the Student Privacy Pledge
- Updating the team’s social media
- Creating basic graphics, including headers, particularly for website posts
- Previous experience in administrative support roles
- Reputation for being entrepreneurial, energetic, positive, and focused
- Experience with Zoom, GSuite, WordPress, and Canva
FPF knows that having a diverse workforce is essential to our work. We do not discriminate against any candidate based on their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or age. We encourage applicants who might not have a background in privacy to apply anyways if they think they have the skills to be successful in the role.
Further, FPF prides itself on providing equal opportunities in employment and can make further accommodations to meet your accessibility needs. Please, send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “ProjectAssistantYE2020_[NAME]” if you need assistance in submitting your application.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary. Includes excellent health, dental, and vision coverage, three weeks of vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s, Juneteenth, and all federal holidays.
This is a full-time position that will eventually be based out of the Washington DC office. FPF staff are working remotely until January 2021 (at the earliest) due to the coronavirus pandemic.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, a cover letter, and one writing sample to [email protected], with the subject line “ProjectAssistantYE2020_[NAME].” Your writing sample should not be edited by another party. Writing samples that are similar to blog posts or articles are especially useful. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP (position will be filled as soon as the right candidate is found), but no later than September 10th.