The Future of Privacy Forum (FPF) is a non-profit organization that serves as a catalyst for privacy leadership and scholarship, advancing principled data practices in support of emerging technologies. FPF’s Law & Policy Fellowships are designed to equip recent law school graduates with the skills to succeed in the privacy law profession, and to provide private and public employers with privacy professionals of exceptional knowledge, understanding, and commitment to privacy and individuals.
FPF is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace that supports employees professionally and personally through our employment practices and benefits offerings. We encourage applications from individuals who represent a variety of backgrounds based on sex, race, ethnicity, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, and other factors protected by law. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please reach out to [email protected]
This Law & Policy Fellowship is a one-year, public interest fellowship for recent law school graduates committed to the advancement of responsible data practices. This position will support FPF work on privacy and data management issues and help to support the fulfillment of grant deliverables, analyse and track privacy legislation (federal, state, local, and tribal), draft publications and resources, develop privacy best practices and standards, and other responsibilities as they arise.
The ideal candidate will be a superior writer; have a strong desire to effect change in the world with a focus on compromise, nuance, and bringing stakeholders together to find actionable solutions; be able to help translate complicated legal or technical topics for a variety of audiences; have the ability to remain professional and impartial while working in a political environment; and a willingness to support team members. The Law & Policy Fellow will interact regularly with leading senior figures in government, corporations, academia, advocacy groups, and law firms.
Importance of Fit
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about exploring the nuances of privacy in society; helping stakeholders reach consensus on ethical norms, policies, and business practices to address new privacy challenges; and the ability to thrive in a rapidly evolving policy environment. An ideal candidate will be able to maintain order and solve problems with creativity, determination, and collaboration. An interest in deep legal research, including federal, state, local, and tribal laws, is strongly preferred.
The Law & Policy Fellowship is a one-year, public interest fellowship for recent law school graduates committed to the advancement of responsible data practices. Applicants should have:
- Demonstrated interest in public policy work generally and specifically in the areas of data privacy, technology, and Internet policy;
- Strong academic record, participation in professional/volunteer activities, subject matter expertise in the relevant skills;
- Commitment to ethical practices;
- Demonstration of interpersonal qualities that show support for colleagues, peers, and a broader community;
- Superb legal writing and research skills;
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment; and
- Commitment and ability to fulfill the one-year term required by the program.
- Previous internships or other experience in education, privacy, security, technology policy, political campaigns, or government positions, particularly those that demonstrate your ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience tracking and analyzing federal, state, local, and/or tribal legislation.
- Reputation for being entrepreneurial, energetic, positive, and focused.
- Deeply interested in exploring the nuances between protecting individual privacy and the potential for data and technology to help solve big societal problems and improve lives.
FPF knows that having a diverse workforce is essential to our work. We do not discriminate against any candidate based on their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or age.
Further, FPF prides itself on providing equal opportunities in employment and can make further accommodations to meet your accessibility needs. Please, send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “LawPolicyFellow_NAME” if you need assistance in submitting your application.
Salary and Benefits:
$65,000; includes excellent health, dental, and vision coverage, three weeks of vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s, Juneteenth and all federal holidays.
This is a full-time position based out of the Washington DC office. FPF staff are working remotely until January 2022, with the option to work in-office as preferred, in accordance with building and organization COVID-19 safety regulations.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, a cover letter, law school transcript if you are or were in school within the past two years, and two writing samples to [email protected]. Please submit at least one sample that has not been edited by another party. Writing samples that are similar to blog posts or articles are especially useful. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP.