Reports To: FPF Vice President of Global Privacy
Salary Range: $140K to $160K/annually
The Future of Privacy Forum (FPF) is a global non-profit organization that serves as a catalyst for privacy leadership and scholarship, advancing principled data practices in support of emerging technologies. FPF is an organization at the forefront of global thought leadership in the privacy and data protection space, understanding and explaining legislative trends, regulatory action, and best practices related to processing personal data and emerging technologies across key jurisdictions. Coordinated from its Headquarters in Washington DC, FPF has offices in Brussels, Tel Aviv, and Singapore, as well as a network of experts and partners in Kenya, India, and Brazil, with a long-term view of expanding our global presence. To develop its global perspective and contribute to the comprehensive understanding of privacy and data protection trends across the world, FPF is engaging with a vast array of stakeholders, including international organizations, researchers, regulators, privacy practitioners (in-house and outside counsel, privacy engineers, technologists), advocates and policymakers.
General Job Overview:
FPF is seeking to hire a Managing Director to lead its regional office in Tel Aviv (Israel Tech Policy Institute) and support our work covering policy developments in Israel. The role provides an exciting opportunity to build FPF’s presence in the “start-up nation,” to educate a global audience on key trends in data protection policy-making in one of the most active tech policy laboratories in the world, as well as contribute to the development of the field locally.
The responsibilities of the Managing Director are dual: the position is expected to have operational responsibilities and lead projects with excellent subject matter expertise. This role reports to the Vice President of Global Privacy and works closely with the Senior Vice President of Operations and the FPF Leadership team to successfully implement the two objectives. The Managing Director is expected to build and manage a small team of experts on the ground and to engage with peers, senior fellows, and policy counsel working in Global Privacy and US Policy at FPF. Ideally, the candidate is a self-starter who thrives when building new initiatives.
- Shape the strategic direction and connectivity of FPF in Israel and the region;
- Manage the day-to-day activity of the FPF Israel office in Tel Aviv and supervise the subject matter experts working for FPF or contributing to our projects on the ground and in the region;
- Track, understand, and explain to key stakeholders the major trends in privacy, data protection, data governance, law, and technology regulatory developments in the region;
- Conduct legal and policy analysis and develop recommendations related to emerging issues in privacy and data protection in the region, as a matter of law, self-regulation, or best practices;
- Engage in outreach and collaborate with FPF stakeholders, as well as with key interest groups, relevant government agencies, regulators, academics, and other partners;
- Organize recurring engagement opportunities, such as webinars, in-person events and peer-to-peer meetings with FPF’s key stakeholders interested in the region;
- Provide commentary through blog posts, media interviews, and representation at public panels, conferences, and events;
- Organize an Annual FPF Delegation to Tel Aviv during Cyberweek;
- Recruit additional corporate or foundation financial supporters for FPF regionally or globally;
- Manage the Israel office budget and expenditures;
- Coordinate projects with FPF’s other regional offices, the Global Privacy team overall, and, where relevant, the US Policy team.
- J.D. or Masters’s degree in a related field;
- Significant management experience or relevant experience in public service, civil society, the private sector, or academia;
- 5 – 10 years experience in relevant legal, policy, or technical positions;
- Familiarity with legislative and regulatory trends in privacy and data protection law around the world, particularly in Israel;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Interest in emerging trends in technology and implications for users and society;
- Demonstrated project planning and organizational skills.
This is a full-time position located in Tel Aviv with high flexibility in terms of work schedule. FPF provides a flexible work environment, requiring only a minimum of one day in the office.
To apply: please submit a cover letter and resume here.
FPF is an equal-opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace that supports employees professionally and personally through our employment practices and benefits offerings. We encourage applications from individuals who represent a variety of backgrounds based on sex, race, ethnicity, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, and other factors protected by law. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please reach out to [email protected].