The Future of Privacy Forum (FPF) is a non-profit organization that serves as a catalyst for privacy leadership and scholarship, advancing principled data practices in support of emerging technologies. The Education Privacy team convenes stakeholders to ensure the responsible use of education technology and management of student data, creates resources and runs the Education Privacy Resource Center website FERPA|Sherpa, and reviews applicants to the Student Privacy Pledge.
FPF is seeking a full-time Policy Manager.
The Education Privacy Team is looking for a dynamic manager to lead operational assessment and oversee daily operations and grant deliverables. We are looking for rising talent to design and lead new administrative and operational management processes for our growing team. The candidate will also act as the gatekeeper for the Director while simultaneously helping manage a mostly remote team of contractors.
This is a junior to mid-level position, but it is essential to the success of the team with potential for horizontal growth. The Policy Manager is solely in charge of ensuring that the team and contractors are on track and helping them differentiate between important and urgent matters in a high-intensity work environment. A successful candidate could also research different privacy topics and could represent the student privacy team at meetings or events.
Importance of Fit
We are looking for someone who has a passion for our mission, the ability to thrive in a chaotic environment, and can assertively and diplomatically elevate individual and team performance. An ideal candidate will be able to maintain order and solve problems with creativity, determination, and a great sense of humor.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Operational Assessment and Change Management
We are looking for a Policy Manager who can conduct an assessment to design effective and agile operational and task management systems. Ideally, this process will only need to be replicated after the project receives new funding or the team launches new strains of work.
- Map every activity of the Education Team into categories, including grant deliverables, publications, research, information storage, evaluation metrics, etc
- Analyze each category and provide actionable recommendations.
- Create a list of ongoing responsibilities for the Education Team, and develop an easy to use monitoring system to track what the Team and contractors are working on.
- Manage and update a team calendar with assigned task and deadlines.
- Implement and document each new system control, process, and recommendation.
Assisting the Director
- Manage the Director’s inbox; ensure all urgent emails are answered and archive important messages into sub-folders.
- Conduct daily check-ins with the Director to deal with priority items and verify that other issues are dealt with in a timely matter.
- Organize and schedule meetings or important calls, including day-of logistics.
Program and Development
- Manage the day-to-day work of local and remote team members to ensure satisfactory completion of staff, intern, and contractor assignments.
- Monitor and update the status of grant deliverables, publication deadlines, event planning, and other project-related items on a daily or weekly basis.
- Conduct independent research on education and child privacy topics.
- Collect and organize research, project materials, and interviews, comments, and directives from FPF stakeholders to be used in the creation of blogs, reports, publications, and student privacy resources.
- Draft or edit grant reports, publications, and blogs, as needed.
- Assist with ongoing responsibilities of the Education Team, including website maintenance, working group scheduling and note-taking, newsletter creation and curation, identifying funding opportunities, and drafting talking points.
- Perform daily administrative functions such as drafting emails and transcription, periodic database entry, and other administrative duties.
- Help develop and post on social media as needed.
We are looking for a high potential individual to join our team. While we are willing to train the right candidate, there are certain skills the right candidate will need in order to be successful in this environment.
- Proven ability to put in place organizational systems and keep track of multiple projects across multiple teams to ensure deadlines are met and resources are released in a timely manner.
- Superior attention to detail in editing, transcribing, citations and grammar, even in low-stakes writing such as email.
- Confident verbal communications and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with staff at multiple organizational levels.
- Ability to meticulously organize electronic communications, research, and written materials.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and prioritize tasks while working within deadlines.
- Comfortable directing and incorporating remote contractors.
- Self-starter who can learn new systems and complex topics quickly.
- 2+ years relevant work experience or equivalent degree.
- Basic grant management, including identifying funding opportunities, monitoring, and grant writing.
- Interest in privacy and desire to learn.
- Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, WordPress, and Slack familiarity.
- Experience with MS Office Suite and G Suite.
Excellent medical plan, dental and vision insurance; 3 weeks of vacation, as well as the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day and all federal holidays; 401K and Roth 401K; short- and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance; and a 3% salary increase every year. FPF pays for IAPP certification test for interested staff.
This is a full-time position based in the Washington DC office, but occasional remote work is acceptable and schedule accommodations can be made. The salary will depend on experience. The base salary for a junior applicant is $45,000 to $55,000 USD.
FPF knows that having a diverse workforce is essential to our work. We do not discriminate against any candidate based on their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age. We encourage applicants who might not have a background in privacy apply anyways if they think they have the skills to be successful in the role.
Further, FPF prides itself on providing equal opportunities in employment and can make further accommodations to meet your accessibility needs. Please, send us an email with the subject line “Application_2019Manager” if you need assistance in submitting your application.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, a cover letter, and a 500-1500 word writing sample to [email protected], with subject line “Application_2019Manager”. Your writing sample can be a blog or an excerpt of a report. Please submit a sample that has not been edited by another party.